If you know me at all, you'll know

I'm a sucker for a female-fronted band... But as I got sick of Florence a long time ago, having appeared as the soundtrack to every single TV advert for the past year, and with probably having to wait quite a while for the next Yeah Yeah Yeahs or The Kills albums, I've kindly scoured for/fallen upon some not-too-effeminate bands that you really should listen to!

Peggy Sue

I saw them supporting Local Natives a couple of months ago, and looking back I think it should've been the other way around. I thought, as I watched them swap ukulele after accordion after percussion between songs, it's only a matter of time before they're snapped up by Radio 1, and ahoy they've recently done a live set for Rob Da Bank. I'm glad- the whole “London folk scene” was sorely missing some feminine action. Although they class themselves different from the usual Noah and The Whale sort of new-folk as they listened to a lot of 80s and 90s hip hop growing up, citing Lauryn Hill as one of their main influences. This echoes through their soul-filled two-part harmonies running throughout. They're the sort of band I really want to join... I could play ukulele not very well..?




She Keeps Bees
Her voice has all the soul of Janis Joplin and her stage presence encompasses the thoughts of shock in the late 70s when people heard The Pretenders for the first time and witnessed a woman sounding bloody good with a guitar. She does actually have a drummer, and a pro video. But I prefer just her and her Mustang.




Your Kid Sister
What could possibly ever be wrong about a cute girl with an even cuter voice in a Where The Wild Things Are-esque furry hat doing a Rancid cover on a beach with an accordion? Actually nothing. She does some pretty good short films as well if you check out her YouTube channel.